- Archaic a peasant or farm worker
- a rude, awkward, or ill-mannered person
According to Noonan, Obama is a boor, because he's so in your face, all the time, with all his appearances on health care insurance reform. And the people so HATE a boor.
Implications over the flip:
- Obama is a boor because only a low class, rude person with no manners would reject the declaration of the Village elders in the media that health insurance reform is dead, actually insisting on a vote from congress and stuff. Doesn't he know who they are?
- Obama is a boor because he keeps trying to argue his case when the erudite and refined people like the teabaggers have spoken.
- Obama is a boor because he's popularly elected, which is almost insufferable in its vulgarity. See other entries under cult, rock star, Flavor of the Month, stupid kids, white guilt/black racism.
- Obama is a boor because he talks to normal people as if they were actually paying attention. Oh, my, how droll.
- Worst of all, Obama tries to hide his ill manners and low breeding by being articulate, polite, hardworking and adopting all the best of the bourgeois values of hard work, church, family, and country.
- Trulyy refined people, like Reagan, let their speechwriters put references to the people in speeches and ride horses, and leave it at that. Or scare the shit out of them, like Bush. Any form of manipulation is acceptable, but anything substantive, that tries to actually connect with or help the common man, is politics and boorish.
UPDATE: H/T to BlueSue, via Daily Beast, video, even worse than depicted.
Yeah, she said "boorish", not "boring".
SECOND UPDATE: For those who think she's too stupid to know the difference between "boorish" and "boring", see her WSJ article,
We live in an age of great wealth--and lousy manners.
THIRD UPDATE NOONAN NOW WITH MORE WTF HYPOCRISY
Hat tip to Clarknt67 who points out the FDL post quoting Noonan to the effect that the screamers at the town halls haven't gone too far, yet...while dismissing democracy as being pretty much the same as screaming.
...the health-care protesters have to make sure they don’t get too hot, or get out of hand. They haven’t so far, they’ve been burly and full of debate, with plenty of booing. This is democracy’s great barbaric yawp.